Thousands of people land in Australia every year to become a naturalised citizen.
The Citizenship Certificate marks the final stage of the Australian naturalisation and citizenship process and serves as official proof that you are an official citizen of Australia.
Before applicants receive their Citizenship Certificate, they must meet all the eligibility requirements for obtaining citizenship by conferral.
If you are one of these aspirants who aims to become a naturalised Australian citizen, here’s everything you need to know.
Let’s begin with the benefits.
Australian citizenship has a wide array of benefits to offer. They include:
● The right to vote in Australian elections and choose Parliament members
● The right to stand for public office and seek election in Australian government
● The Right to leave and enter Australia without restrictions
● Immunity from deportation
● Being eligible to nominate your children for Australian Citizenship (citizenship through descent)
● Traveling with an Australian passport, which entails visa-free travel to 169 nations
● Eligibility for aid on educational debt from the Australian government
● Eligibility for Australian administrative and defence jobs in a government agency
● The right to adopt children in Australia
● Outside Australia, consular support from Australian embassies in case of crisis
● The right to Permanent Residence in New Zealand!
● The opportunity to represent Australia in international cultural and sports events!
Rights and Duties Associated with Australian Citizenship include the following:
● Obligation to obey all the laws of the country decided by the Australian government
● To enrol in federal and state/territorial elections
● Pay all applicable taxes in a timely and honest fashion
● Duty to vote in elections and referendums (Voting is compulsory in Australia, or pay fines!)
● To defend the country if the need arises
● Duty to serve on a jury if called upon
Eligibility Criteria for Australian Citizenship by conferral:
● Applicant must be at least 18 years old
● Must be of good character (without a criminal record)
● Must have basic knowledge of English
● Must have passed the citizenship test
● Must have cleared the permanent residence requirements
● Should either reside in the country or have a strong association with Australia
● There is no other reason for the Minister of Immigration to reject your application.
● Must have been a permanent resident for 12 months immediately preceding their citizenship application
● Have not been absent from Australia for more than 12 months in the previous four years
● Must not have been absent from Australia for more than three months within the 12 months before applying
● Have not been in Australia unlawfully in the four years preceding the application process
You can apply for Australian citizenship online by:
1) Visiting the Australian Ministry of Home Affairs immigration website
2) Create your ImmiAccount.
3) Login into your ImmiAccount
4) Choose ‘New Application’
5) Then Choose the relevant application from the list
6) Provide the requested information and upload any necessary files
7) Read and agree to the Terms and Conditions. Please be sure to go through the website thoroughly before submitting your application!
Cost to Apply for Australian Citizenship basic breakdown:
● Aged between 18 – 59 $540
● Aged 60 years or over $330
Refer to the Australian Ministry of Home Affairs immigration website for a more detailed breakdown of the fee structure.
• Note: Fees increased July 1st, 2023
The most recent citizenship application fee changes took effect on July 1st, 2023. The fees were adjusted according to changes in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) to account for inflation and rising costs.
Prepare for the Australian Citizenship Test:
Our Common Bond has all the necessary information to pass the citizenship exam. Questions in the test are based on the following topics:
● Australia and its people
● Australia’s democratic beliefs, rights and liberties
● Government and the law in Australia
Official sources highly recommend downloading and reading Australian Citizenship: Our Common Bond or watching the video before you sit the test.
Alternatively, you can maximise your chances of success with the help of online practice tests by AustralianCitizenshipSupport.com. Our online platform includes various study tools to help you in your test preparation. Choose the No.1 Online Training for the Australian Citizenship Test! 💻 🥇