Updated: 23 October, 2020
A new, more difficult Australian Citizenship Test is being rolled out on November 15, 2020
In a recent press release, the acting minister for immigration, Alan Tudge, said that the new test places a clear focus on Australian Values.
The citizenship test is part of the application process for most applicants for Australian citizenship by conferral.
You need to pass the citizenship test to show that you have:
✔ A basic knowledge of the English language
✔ An understanding of what it means to become an Australian citizen
✔ An adequate knowledge of Australia and the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship
✔ An understanding and commitment to Australian values based on freedom, respect and equality
The updated Australian citizenship test (effective on and after Nov.15, 2020) includes the following changes:
‣ Revised questions
‣ New questions on Australian values
‣ A new requirement for all applicants that all 5 questions on Australian values must be answered correctly, with a mark of at least 75 per cent overall to pass the test, which is at least 15 correct questions out of 20.
The test format is still 20 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 45 minutes.
Applicants will only be tested on the testable section of the newly updated test resource booklet Australian Citizenship: Our Common Bond
Why is the new updated Australian Citizenship Test Harder to pass?
• The testable section of the new booklet has much more information to learn and memorise.
• There are now 4 testable parts whereas previously there were 3 (Part 4 is about Australian values).
• Applicants must answer all 5 Australians values questions correctly.
• The testable section has more glossary to learn.
• There is a stronger emphasis on English literacy skills. Most applicants are expected to have the language skills necessary to complete the citizenship test without assistance.
Why did they change the test?
Over the years, the government has been making it more difficult for migrants to become Australian citizens. A tougher values test comes in the midst of challenges to address social unity and foreign interference.
The new citizenship test places a clear focus on Australian values. Shared values such as the dignity and freedom of each person, equal opportunity for men and women, the importance of democracy and the Rule of Law promote peace and safety in a nation. Shared values are the common bond that unites all people.
In keeping with Australian values, migrants are expected to learn and use English to help them participate in Australian society. Communicating in English is valued as an important unifying element of society. It helps people get a job, education and integrate into the Australian community.
While migrants are strongly encouraged to become citizens, it is not something that is easily earned or given away cheaply.
Australian citizenship is a privilege that offers enormous benefits such as better employment opportunities. It Is the final step that will enable you to say “I am an Australian!”
Do you need help preparing for the New Australian Citizenship Test?
We offer a complete online training for the New Updated Australian Citizenship Test.
Our program reflects all the recent changes and updates.
We have helped thousands of people prepare for the Australian Citizenship Test.
Pass your test with confidence and ease.
10 replies on “New Updated Australian Citizenship Test – Full Guide To All The Changes And Updates”
Hi if I didn’t passed 2 times what happened
WE recommend visiting this page of the Department of Home Affairs website to help answer your question: